Union Forest Church
In 1918, Aunt Nolie Henson, with the help of Rev. Joseph Jenkins, pastor of the First Baptist Church in Jerseyville, organized a Sunday School at the Old Grant School, located about 7 miles southwest of Jerseyville. As enrollment grew, the two decided a church was needed.
God and Aunt Nolie provided the inspiration. Leslie Stamps provided the land, and business owners and community members provided the money and labor necessary to turn Aunt Nolie’s dream into reality. The non-denominational Union Forest Church, named for its location near the woods, was officially dedicated in December 1920.
The last church service was held in the simple country church in the 1970s, and the Stamps family, represented by sisters Gale Stamps Rothe and Susan Stamps Wynn, donated the Union Forest Church to the Jersey County Historical Society in August 2010. To transport the church to its present location, the steeple had to be removed and the walls lowered two feet to safely pass beneath overhead power lines. It was officially opened and rededicated at the 2011 Apple Festival.
Today, the Union Forest Church looks much as it did when it originally opened. The refinished pews, pulpit, prayer rails, and attendance board once again grace the sanctuary of the church. The original church sign hangs above the church’s main entrance.
The Union Forest Church can provide a beautiful setting for small, intimate weddings. For more information, click here.