Hagen Log Cabin
The Hagen cabin was built by Felix Hagen Sr. in the late 1880s near Deer Plain in neighboring Calhoun County. It originally had two stories and porches upstairs and down.
Before Felix built the cabin’s interior staircase, he climbed a ladder each night to sleep in a second-floor bedroom. He and his wife, Luvena, had 11 children, and after the family moved to a larger home, the cabin was used to house migrant workers who picked apples at Hagen Orchard.
Evelyn Stumpe and her family donated the cabin to the Historical Society in 2014, and before it was moved to our grounds in 2016, the second story and porches were removed. The Hagen cabin was finished and opened for tours in 2017.
The completion of the Hagen cabin marked the end of more than a decade of work to reproduce Hickory Grove, the tiny settlement that existed before being renamed Jerseyville in 1834. That settlement included three log cabins and the Red House.